Friday, 26 March 2010

Sucking the Marrow out of Life

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived ... I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world ...
(Henry David Thoreau - Read full version here.)
Anyone up for a trip to the woods? With me?

I wanna get the most out of life. I'm determined to live life to the full, to suck out the marrow, to scrape every last scraping from the barrel. Every experience in life can be lived with the utmost passion and enjoyment, be it a seismic, life-changing encounter or a seemingly mundane everyday experience.

I'm pretty well known for finding the small things in life enjoyable. The saying goes that small things please small minds, but I'm not convinced. My friends don't think so. A very good friend of mine often laughs at me in a wonder-filled, how-do-you-get-so-much-out-of-such-a-small-thing kind of way, when I make a big thing out of the trivial, yet infinitely wonderful, details of life.

I thought I'd take the liberty of giving a few tips for getting the most out of life, just off the top of my head, like; make of these what you will:

  • sleep in a dark wood with a friend next to a blazing bonfire with no tent - just laying next to the fire on a blanket
  • make a point of explaining to someone in great detail the world's best way of making a hot chocolate, aided by a real-life demonstration
  • next time you ask a shop assistant to show you where to find something, pull the stupidest face you can while they've got their back turned
  • read a good mix of inspiration, poetry, humour, history, children's books and science
  • fill your life full of people from all different walks of life and backgrounds, and determine to enjoy them for what they add to your life
Well, there's five to be going on with. Anyone wanna add another five?

2 comments:

normal said...

Wonderful, Soups, but I think I'll leave out the one about the shop assistant in case the wind changes direction. Er, I'm assuming that's what happened with you...? ;-)

Soupy said...

He he. You win this time, normal, but I'll be back!