Thursday, 17 November 2011

Losing your life - and loving the simple

I stumbled across an old song the other day. It was sung to me by a friend eleven years ago and I was so struck by it that I asked him for a photocopy.

jesus-disciple-song

I'm here Lord, your disciple,
Denying my self-life, accepting all pain.
I'm here Lord, your disciple;
Daily I'll follow you and never complain.
Ready to serve whatever the price,
I'm here Lord, building your church in sacrifice.
I'm here Lord, your disciple,
Losing my life once more to gain it anew.

Very simple and yet very challenging to sing - to sing and really mean, anyway. It gets to the very nub of what it means to follow Jesus.

So does this:
Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self?   (Luke 9:23-25)
I like the simple things. I like the fact that Jesus said very simple things, but that those things challenge us to the very core of our being.

I like the fact that the New Testament is simple. It steps past all our intellectual reasoning with its unexpected, earth-shattering, heart-exposing simplicity.

Like this:
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.   (John 3:16)
And this:
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.   (1 John 3:16)
And it elicits a response and causes us to look deeply at ourselves and to choose between our own meagre existence and a rich, fulfilled, ever-expanding - yet utterly challenging - life.

And it inspires songs. Like the one above.

No comments: